Elaine Hamilton has never wanted to be the center of attention. She'd like nothing more than to cook quietly in her kitchen, mastering French cooking with the recipes of the great Julia Child.
So how did she end up with cameras zooming in on her and a crowd cheering her on?
Well, it involves . . .
* an eccentric best friend named after a font,
* five lively brothers constantly asking, “What's for dinner?”
* a rotten fig and a weakness,
* a feminist congresswoman mother,
* a yoga-practicing father,
* a chest full of unsent letters,
* and many, many roast ducks.
Delicious. Just delicious.