A relative or friend has finally taken those tentative first steps toward sobriety. With the relief of this life-changing course of action comes a new and difficult set of challenges for recovering addicts and those who love them. Family members and friends often find themselves unsure of how to weather such a dramatic turn‚ as the rules and routines of their relationships no longer pertain.
EVERYTHING CHANGES assuages fears and uncertainty by teaching loved ones of newly recovering addicts how to navigate the often-tumultuous early months of recovery. Beverly Conyers‚ author of the acclaimed ADDICT IN THE FAMILY‚ again shares the hope and knowledge that she gained as a parent of a recovering addict by focusing on the aftermath of addiction. She outlines the physical and psychological changes that recovering addicts go through‚ and offers practical tools to help family members and friends:
- build a fresh‚ rewarding relationship with the addict
- be supportive without setting themselves up for disappointment
- avoid enabling destructive behavior
- set and maintain boundaries
- cope with relapse
- deal with the practicalities of sober living‚ such as helping the addict find a job and manage the stigma of addiction
- Conyers writes from experience‚ as her own daughter is a recovering heroin addict.
- Book reveals how to support the addict while nurturing oneself by: 1) revealing valuable insights about what newly sober family members are going through‚ 2) outlining actions that families can take to help those loved ones deal with the joys and challenges of sobriety‚ and 3) conveying the things that families can do to take care of themselves during this difficult period.
- Addresses the psychological‚ physical‚ and physiological challenges faced by those in early recovery.
- Offers family members tangible steps to take to repair relationships.
- Guides families in helping recovering loved ones deal with the practicalities of sober living‚ such as finding a job‚ developing skills‚ coping with the stigma of addiction.
- Reveals how to cope with relapse‚ slips‚ and other setbacks.
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 07 / 2009
- 135 x 210mm