- Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' - 'The Little Sisters Of Eluria': dark fantasy and icy realism, a visionary mix of magic and horror.
- Terry Goodkind's 'The Sword Of Truth' - 'Debt Of Bones': Green fire and black magic rage between the First Wizard and Panis Rahl.
- Orson Scott Card's 'The Tales Of Alvin Maker' - 'Grinning Man': A step closer to the ultimate confrontation between Alvin and the Unmaker.
- Robert Silverberg's 'Majipoor' - 'The Seventh Shrine': In the time of the most famous Pontifex of all, Lord Valentine.
- Ursula K LeGuin's 'Earthsea' - 'Dragonfly': A woman for the first time on the mage's Isle of Roke.
- Raymond E Feist's - 'The Riftwar Saga' - 'The Wood Boy': When the Kingdom had just been invaded by the Tsurani.