This completely revised edition of the Penguin Guide reviews the major classical recordings issued and reissued over the past five decades, many of which dominate the catalogue because of their sheer excellence, irrespective of recording dates. More comprehensive than ever before and now updated annually, it indicates key recordings on CD, DVD and enhanced SACD, including those in surround sound. If you want the finest available version of any major classical work (including DVDs of opera and ballet) you will find it listed and assessed in these pages.
Ranging from long-established recordings to the newest releases, the latest edition represents the cream of the international repertoire and has all the information you need to select the finest classical music available.
THE PENGUIN GUIDE TO RECORDED CLASSICAL MUSIC 2010 OFFERS:
* The pick of the latest CD releases, as well as outstanding established recordings
* Assessment of the impact and importance of video and audio DVDs
* The greatest historic performances, many available in excellent new transfers
* The major period instrument recordings
* An in-depth appraisal of the best of the budget-priced CDs, including countless recent reissues
- Publication Date:
- 02 / 11 / 2009