Revised by Peter Dowling.
Popular interest in New Zealand's place names is as strong as ever and Place Names of New Zealand remains unchallenged as the one-stop reference.
First published in 1975 and updated over three editions since, it:
* contains alphabetical entries for over 10,000 places in New Zealand;
* explains the origin and meaning of the place names (including competing versions);
* locates places by regions and indicates distances from nearest major localities;
* incorporates place names in both Maori and English, and gives the original Maori names for many places renamed during the colonial period;
* is updated to incorporate latest official names;
* includes an appendix of over 2000 superseded place names.
Place Names of New Zealand, prepared with both locals and visitors in mind, is a user-friendly reference work that no library, home, marae or office in New Zealand should be without.
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 07 / 2010
- 152 x 230mm