This book provides a unique and timely multidisciplinary synthesis of our current knowledge of the anatomy, pharmacology, physiology and behavioral data of the serotonin (5-HT)-dopamine (DA) interactions. Central serotonergic and dopaminergic systems play a critical role in the regulation of normal and abnormal behaviors. Moreover, recent evidence suggests that the dysfunction of the DA and 5-HT neurotransmitter systems contribute to various mental disorders including depression, schizophrenia, drug addiction and Parkinson’s disease. This extremely important topic is of wide interest within the scientific community, with relevance not only to specialists but also to general practitioners and students. The book provides a valuable contribution to the debate on new pharmacological approaches for several psychopathological states, with contributions from expert neuroscientists and pharmacologists who comprehensively survey the most significant currently active areas of dopamine/serotonin interactions.
* Provides an understanding of the interaction between Serotonin and Dopamine.
* Appeals equally to specialists, general practitioners, students and researchers.
* Contributes to the debate on new pharmacological approaches to several psychopathological states
* Gives a comprehensive anatomical description plus the physiology and pharmacology of dopaminergic and serotonergic systems
* Singles out neuropsychiatric and suggests new therapeutic approaches.