Part of the 'Complete Idiot's Guide' series.
All of us - from beginning learners of the English language to professional speakers and experienced writers - know the frustration of not being able to get the right word to roll of our tongues or flow from our pens just when we need to express what we're thinking. Sometimes it's a matter of not being able to recall the right word; sometimes we never knew it to begin with.
This book will help readers expand upon their language skills by teaching them terms that are grouped together by subject areas that share some element of meaning. Each chapter is further broken down into subcategories of related words, each with its own quiz/exercise to re-enforce learning. Every word contains a definition, pronunciation, sample sentence, and a list of synonyms/antonyms. Close to 1,500 words in all!
The book also gives readers additional information on:
- The most commonly used foreign words
- The top 150 nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Words coined in the last 10 years
- How to make use of roots, prefixes, and suffixes
- Where to locate additional resources to build a better vocabulary