Part of the 'Complete Idiot's Guide' series.
Walking conditions the heart, improves muscle tone and strength, relieves stress, and can help ease back pain, osteoporosis, respiratory ailments, diabetes, arthritis, cardiac rehabilitation, and other health problems. A brisk walk burns the same amount of calories that jogging does (100).
This book "walks" you through an easy, safe, and inexpensive way to fitness, discussing the importance of stretching, what clothing to wear, and where to walk safely, and offers walking programs that you can coordinate your life around or fit into your busy schedule.
The book offers lessons on:
- Why walking is so great for you - and how to get started safely
- Sample walking programs
- Walking for weight loss - from speed to terrain and beyond
- Walking for special folks, from seniors to heart patients
- The walker's lifestyle - incorporating walking into daily life, even on rainy days!
- Hiking, race walking, and walking in groups
- Walking for the mind and soul
- Dozens of Websites, books, magazines, and journals that offer even more information on walking
- Publication Date:
- 14 / 02 / 2001
- 189 x 232mm