Seen by over one billion people worldwide since its 1939 premiere, The Wizard of Oz is more than a classic film; it is a cultural icon.
The year 2014 marks the seventy-fifth anniversary of the film, and this book is timed to be published well in advance of the anniversary. Written by the country’s foremost authorities on the subject - Jay Scarfone and William Stillman - and designed in close collaboration with Warner Bros., The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary delivers an entertaining interactive experience, transporting readers over the rainbow and into the wonderful world of Oz.
The authors reveal filmmaking secrets-the inspiration behind the film’s realistic tornado, why Dorothy’s shoes were ruby, and how to get a fleet of monkeys of fly, to name a few examples-and never-before seen artwork from the authors’ personal collection, including, but not limited to, rare stills, Technicolor test frames, and costume and set illustrations. (Scarfone and Stillman are considered the leading collectors of Wizard of Oz movie memorabilia and photos of all time.)
Additionally, the book will also feature nine removable features as well as several innovative graphic components, including a light-sensitive page that literally transforms a black-and-white image to color-to capture the classic moment when Dorothy opens her farmhouse door to Oz.
More than your average anniversary edition, this book will be an absolute knock-out on the shelf; it promises to be the most definitive look at The Wizard of Oz yet.
LIST OF REMOVABLES:
1. Death Certificate of the Wicked Witch of the East.
2. Vintage Poster of the Film.
3. “Brain,” “Heart,” “Courage,” and “Home” Certificates from the Wizard of Oz.
4. Promo Ad for the Film, 1939.
6. Glossy Colorized Image of the Tin Man at the Wash and Brush Up Parlor.
7. Stand-Up Paper Picture Frame with Images of the Characters from the Film.
8. Newspaper from the Land of Oz, Pronouncing the Death of the Witch and Dorothy’s Appearance in Oz.
9. Lobby Cards, 1939.
Comprehensive in its scope yet accessibly written and beautifully designed, this book is perfect for Oz fans, film buffs of all ages, and collectors.
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 12 / 2013
- 235 x 279mm