A collection of fourteen new short stories, following in the tradition of Jeffrey Archer's storytelling, including:
- An elderly man who doesn't know which of his relations to leave his fortune to, declares himself bankrupt to find out who really cares about him - only to be surprised by the results.
- A man listens in on a conversation on a crossed line, which changes his whole life.
- A South African, a long-standing believer in apartheid, has a change of heart.
- A criminal who wants the police to catch him so he can live off his ill-gotten gains.
- Two old friends find themselves on opposite sides in a murder case.
- A Henry Moore statue disappears and reappears in a different form.
- A study of seven men, each of whom believes he should have the job of the man immediately above him.