This dictionary reflects today's language, with modern meanings first. Features include:
- Definitions written in clear, straightforward language
- Comprehensive coverage of specialist vocabulary
- New words and senses defined
- Spelling help for all irregular and difficult forms of words
- Word origins explained clearly
- Up-to-date notes within the text giving advice on acceptable and unacceptable English usage
Within this dictionary is an indispensable Good Writing Guide for anyone who wants to write clear and effective English. It contains essential tips and rules, enabling the user to write correctly and confidently. The rules of spelling, grammar, and punctuation are explained in simple, jargon-free language.
The usage section gives guidance on many aspects of English usage, including dates and numbers, capital letters, and avoiding offensive language. There is also advice on how to write official letters and business reports. All this makes the Good Writing Guide an invaluable addition to this Dictionary.