A fully up-to-date guide to one of New Zealand most popular scenic and historic routes for trampers and cyclists, the Otago Central Rail Trail.
The Otago Central Rail Trail is a hike and bike trail that follows the old railway line built through Central Otago in the late 19th century, at a time when bridges and viaducts were constructed in hand-shaped stone. The trail is 150 km long and has been developed for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
This guide divides the trail into 12 easy-to-complete sections, and includes all sorts of information on:
* how to get there
* length and approximate times
* interesting features along the way
* guide to plants and birdlife
* history of the trail
* local knowledge on all the good spots to stop
* places to stay on the way