This second edition of Penguin's flagship English dictionary offers unparalleled in-depth coverage of every aspect of the language. It has been revised and updated by Britain's foremost lexicographers to ensure that it reflects the language of today.
- Clear, detailed definitions, with particular emphasis on difficult concepts and meanings.
- Includes not only Standard English, but also scientific and technical vocabulary, specialist terms, slang and the English of earlier periods.
- Hundreds of new words, jargon and buzzwords reflecting the current state of the language (barista, cyberstalking, food miles, proximity talks, SMS).
- Guidance on grammar, correct usage, spelling and punctuation.
- Examples drawn from the works of major writers, from Shakespeare to Jane Austen and P.G. Wodehouse to Salman Rushdie
- Contribution from leading experts, including Richard Dawkins on evolution, Geoffrey Robertson on freedom , Helena Kennedy on civil rights and Vernon Bogdanor on devolution
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 10 / 2003