A book full of humour, delight and consternation, about weird, wonderful, mad and bizarre science, crazy inventions, incredible ideas and experiments that went terribly wrong. Perfectly pitched for primary school children. Weird! Amazing Inventions and Wacky Science is edgy, funny and highly educational.
Read all about the $7000 shirt which rolls up its own sleeves in hot weather; the man-made powder that can cause rain clouds to vanish from the sky; how to save the world with your PC; and the drinking glass that automatically alerts a waiter that it needs refilling!
Did you know that the wonder drug of the 20th century, penicillin, was an accidental discovery on a mouldy culture dish? Or that the world's oldest dinosaur vomit has been dug up as a fossil in Britain?! Have you heard the theories: that plants actually scream when cut or damaged; towing icebergs around the world could solve major water shortages; teddy bears in doctors' surgeries could be making babies sicker; and why does Ian Thorpe swim so fast?!
Weird! Amazing Inventions and Wacky Science has all this and much, much more! The book is divided into ten sections:
- Amazing inventions & crazy (but true) patent applications and ideas
- Accidental inventions & fascinating discoveries
- Bizarre theories and oddball observations
- Wacky experiments and extraordinary scientists
- Incredible animals and plants
- Weird words and daft definitions
- Great hoaxes
- Experiments and expeditions that ended in tears
- Further reading and websites
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 09 / 2002
- 135 x 234mm