Part of the 'Complete Idiot's Guide' series.
The environment isn't just something we talk about on Earth Day - in the 2000 presidential race, almost every candidate has proclaimed himself "environment-friendly", and most Americans would like to help save the environment, but they aren't sure how to go about it. Recycling is an environmental success story - yet every two weeks, Americans throw away enough glass to fill the World trade Center's 1,350-foot towers. We throw out enough iron and steel to continuously supply the nations automakers. And we receive 4 million tons of junk mail a year - 44% of which is never opened.
This book is a comprehensive guide to what average citizens can do to make a difference to the world in their daily lives. It features:
- The environment: How did it get this way?
- Water, air, land: What can we do to improve them all?
- Using the Three R's: At home, at work, and everywhere else
- Exploring renewable energy sources
- Groups and organisations to join - or just learn more from
- Making every day Earth Day!