Want to know the facts and statistics behind today's issues? 'The Global Citizen's Handbook' presents social, economic, and environmental issues that are facing the planet. These worldwide concerns are presented by easy-to read, colourful world maps, tables, graphs, text and photographs.
Drawing on data from the world bank's World Development Indicators, the book brings to life country comparisons of social indicators like life expectancy, infant mortality, safe water, population below the poverty line and energy efficiency, as well as basic economic indicators like income growth, income per person, private capital and aid flows. Issues that have been hitting the headlines such as Aids, population living below $1 a day, freshwater, trade are presented giving an unbiased view of the state of the world we live in.
Key topics include:
- Population -- the world's growing population
- Economy -- Many people are still poor
- Trade -- reducing barriers to trade
- Health -- communicable diseases too little progress
- Environment -- a thirsty planet gets thirstier.