139 x 163 x 12mm
An essential handbook for any step-parent or anyone considering joining the ranks of the fastest-growing family group in Australia.
This is one of the toughest journeys anyone could ever take and the reality is so much more difficult than anyone could imagine. If step-parents replace wishful thinking with sound practical and evidence-based expectations, their journey will be easier. It is possible to get along with stepchildren, build lasting relationships, manage conflict and communicate in a positive way, especially with clear forethought, communication and time.
In this insightful and reassuring book, Michael Carr-Gregg offers information and practical advice on the following:
• the special qualities that make stepfamilies different from nuclear families
• the myths surrounding step-parents
• defining realistic expectations and setting realistic goals
• the seven great 'no-nos' of step-parenting
• taking care of your own emotional needs
• the special challenges of step-parenting teenagers