For most people,
- Being a single mother to three boys (two of them teenagers),
- Sorting out your feelings for an ex-boyfriend who's now an international film star,
- Pacifying an elderly father who keeps asking why you're not married,
- Tolerating your bigoted brother,
- While keeping out of the way of a dismissive film producer who seems to have made a mission out of annoying you
would be quite enough of a challenge.
Annie Lester however, is not only trying to tackle all this – she's also doing it in the small Gulf emirate of Hawar, where, in the summer of 2002, the impact of America's decision to invade Iraq is just beginning to be felt.
As her well-organised life begins to unravel in the most unexpected ways, Annie has to make some difficult decisions, and question where her loyalties lie. Are her sons defined by who they are, or by what they do? Can a British woman ever really be at home in the Middle East? And can James Hartley, the blue-eyed heartthrob adored by millions, really be serious about someone as ordinary as Annie Lester believes herself to be?
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 04 / 2009
- 128 x 198mm