In this gorgeous book, professional photographer and yoga teacher Cat de Rham brings her own personal vision to the yoga sutras in words and pictures. Written over 2,000 years ago, the yoga sutras are a step-by-step guide to the attainment of true liberation. There are eight stages or limbs of this quest: the eight limbs of yoga.
The book is structured around the eight limbs identified in the yoga sutras of Patanjali as follows:
- Yama: the practice of universal ethical disciplines
- Niyama: the practice of individual disciplines
- Asana: the practice of postures or body exercises to develop agility, balance, strength and vitality
- Pranayama: the practice of regulating the breath
- Pratyahara: the practice of mastering the senses
- Dharana: the practice of focusing the mind
- Dhyana: meditation
- Samadhi: union with the Supreme Being
In this thought-provoking book Cat leads you through the eight limbs, from Yama, the practice of universal ethical disciplines right through to Samadhi, union with the supreme being, shedding light on their philosophical background, and sharing personal hints and practical tips on how they translate into both the practice of yoga and our everyday lives. Along with her stunning artwork and inspirational quotes Cat shares the insights that she has gained along her own personal path to fulfilment.
- Publication Date:
- 01 / 03 / 2002
- 199 x 210mm